Friday, August 27, 2010

March 23, 2010

Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
I Peter 4:12-13

So I've skipped some things. Last week, we were in G'ville almost every day.
I went to my consultation with Dr. M on March 12. She was very confident and factual and I felt comfortable with her as my surgeon. We scheduled my surgery for March 18. We went back Tuesday for lab work and a CT scan. I had to drink 32 oz of Gatorade laced with iodine over 1 1/2 hours. Then I had to have an IV. :( They passed me through a donut and the contrast was weird and hot, like sitting on leather interior in the summer. The tech told me I would feel like I had wet myself. {great}
I wish we hadn't gone out for dinner. I woke up very ill at 3 am. I finally threw up at 4:30 and was able to get a little sleep.
Wednesday was my pre-op appointment and also clear liquids day. More lab work. Most of my day was spent in the bathroom. :|
Thursday we got to S----- at 8:30 am. I got called in to anesthesia to get set up. Oxygen, IV, O2 sensor, tummy block. They put me out to give me shots in the stomach.
I barely remember going into surgery - just bright white lights. I woke up in recovery with a morphine button clutched in my hand. I was in recovery 4 hours waiting for an open bed. They finally wheeled me down the hall, in the elevator, down, through a tunnel under the street, another elevator, up, and to my room. I had to scooch over into my bed.
I was getting frantic. They couldn't find J. I couldn't see because he had my glasses. I couldn't reach him on the phone because it was long distance. When he finally made it to my room, I sent him right back out to get my glasses.
I think I dozed off while he was gone.
At some point, J came and sat by me. He asked if I was coherent enough to talk to him and understand what he was saying. He told me that I had NOT had a hysterectomy.
Dr. M had found some lymph nodes that had cancer in them. She also removed my right ovary because it was enlarged and some surrounding lymph nodes for testing.
I was going to need to go through radiation to eliminate the cancer.

It wasn't over. I have treatment to go through. I was drugged enough that I didn't react emotionally.

1 comment:

  1. I'm figuratively sitting on the edge of my seat! Even though I know the story and the ending, I didn't know the details.

    ReplyDelete